Tuesday 6 September 2011

This little light of mine

Darling M,

It takes a lot of energy continuing through life with the innate confidence to carry out your convictions in everything you do.  And I mean in absolutely everything. How you respect yourself, how you treat your friends. How you treat your family, how you love and cherish your partner.
From time to time, people will see it as their right to get out the candle snuffer and have a right go at suffocating your light. It is at this point you must shine your brightest. How punishing for those weak, negative souls to see you lit up and brilliant! They say the greatest revenge is just to live your life. Do this with a set of fiery fireworks I say.
As the poet Dylan Thomas so wisely said, “Do not go gentle into that good night/…Rage, rage against the dying of the light.” In this context, I encourage to use your spirit, your right to the good fight to light up your soul and let your true colours shine through, in the face of enemies and adversity. Then those whose souls are sullied with self-hatred, greed, jealousy, anger and insecurity cannot feed on the misery they so desperately seek to vindicate their own sense of self-loathing and self-entitlement.

Failing everything else, I tell myself a very old, very clever one I read a long time ago - “when you’re having a bad day, just remember that once upon a time, you were the fastest little sperm out of 300,000,000 others” - and then I think how the sperm field of my adversaries must have been unbelievably slow for them to be the end result.
To remind myself of this conviction I have in always letting my light shine, I always dress to please myself. Sometimes, that means flamboyantly. Sometimes, that means I am a little over-dressed. Sometimes, that means I look very much like a baby giraffe negotiating cobbles as I refuse to give up my passion for shoes that are neither practical (nor, some would say, appropriate) for any given occasion. I am unbelievably lucky to have a partner who appreciates my wacky taste and this need to express myself. Bear is incredibly encouraging and supportive of the 6 inch heel addiction, and all my insane combinations of clothing. I am the luckiest girl alive, and no amount candle snuffing is going to make me forget that.

When on our trip, I really pushed myself and my sense of fashion. It was fun, challenging and has opened me up to a whole new arena of mixing and matching - I am excited to explore this idea and take it even further! Below, I include photos of my foray into this exciting new dimension of dressing!

Headband - Diva, Melbourne. Sunglasses - Tommy Hilfiger.
Collar - Modo, KL. Dress - Street shop, Phuket.
Scarf (worn as arm band )- department store Phuket.
Belt - Wheels and Dollbaby, Perth




Cheesy and shiny! Got to love humidity ...



 As Pink Floyd so eloquently put it, "Shine on, you crazy diamond".

Squirrel Nutmeg

No comments:

Post a Comment