Thursday 29 September 2011

It’s all good in the hood

Darling M,
I must tell you about something so wonderous, so profound that it will surely change your life for the better! Such positive occurences happen around these things that all of a sudden, you’ll find yourself believing that miracles do, indeed, occur in everyday life to everyday people.
I am talking about Spirithoods - a fantastic company based in L.A that designs and creates animal fashion accessories in the form of hoods. These fabulous hoods are made of environmentally-kind faux fur – have snuggly mittens with adorable paw prints and come in all types of animal great and small with lovely furry ears and pattern to match. BUT the part that I love the most is that the company donates a portion of their proceeds to animal charities around the world, who work tirelessly to protect, conserve and build the numbers of these endangered species. If the hoods don’t give you a lovely snuggly feeling – this fact in itself is sure to imbue a sense of the warm fuzzies.  
These hoods should come with a guarantee / warning / promise / disclaimer that when worn, the creators take no responsibility for adventures, friendships, sweet happenstance and true serendipitous moments the wearer will experience due to consumption. They are like a magnet for good karma. What better gift than making people smile with your fashion choices! Not to mention, making them happy by cooing over you and petting you like you’re the bestest cutest little creature there is (if I was a guy, I would be bottling this chick-magnet-stuff).
I am very lucky in that I have two. My first one was a wolf  – proven to be a good investment on my part. The second is a snow leopard. Last year, around Chrismas, Spirithoods had a fabulous sale. I was excitedly telling Bear when he said “maaaybe you should wait for Father Christmas” to which I replied, with a cheeky grin “well, could you please tell Father Christmas that I would like a snow leopard”. Bear must have a good rapport with old Santa Claus, because I woke up to a beautiful snuggly Snow Leopard hood on Christmas morning, and I couldn’t have been more delighted.
My belief is that, like shoes, one can never have enough Spirithoods. Given that my daytime job is being the White Rabbit, I am hoping another design of the same name is released in the future. I will definitely hop on it (ok, that was dreadful – even for me). As a side note – given that I work in and am fascinated by these things – Spirithoods runs a very effective and respectable social media campaign. There are many businesses that could learn a thing or two about marketing in the current environment by watching their practices. So modern, so contemporary – and with a big heart to match – what more could you want from a brand!

Below, I have put together a little collection of moments made even better with the addition of my Spirithoods.

I am laughing at the spectacle. Me on a motorbike?
In a pair of furry ears?


On Rottnest Island (off Perth) feeding a Qokka.
Qokkas are like very poddy, very small wallabies.
They are cheeky, cute and I don't think you're supposed to feed them...

Exploring an old ship at the Whaling Station in Albany,
Western Australia. A very interesting place to visit. Being on the
freezing Southern coast, the snuggly leopard  really came into its own.

Again in Albany. The coast is astounding around there.
Note the paws - and the guy reaching into my head.

The Natural Bridge in Albany. The sea pushes under and up.
Hence the guard rail. Really wouldn't want to fall in
and get my leopard wet!


Cue David Attenborough voice. Leopard in her natural environment
Bremer Bay, W.A. Yes, we do have the best beaches up and down the
coast of Western Australia.

I hope you enjoy, and consider one day joining the tribe of this fantastically creative company and lovebrand.

Squirrel Nutmeg

No comments:

Post a Comment